Must-seen tourist spots
The main 10 places of interest:
- Lake BaikalLake Baikal is the largest repository of high-quality fresh water, the deepest and one of the oldest lakes on Earth. In 2008, the Baikal is recognized as one of the Seven Wonders of Russia.
- Rostov KremlinThe Kremlin was built in the XVII century as Rostov Metropolitanate, that is, the residence of Metropolitan Jonah. There are no reasons for calling this place a Kremlin, the stone walls were rather decorative in nature and were not able to serve for the defense of the city. Total Kremlin has eleven towers and includes several churches. The Kremlin is also famous because here were filmed episodes of the film Gaidai’s “Ivan Vasilievich”.
- PeterhofPeterhof is a kind of triumphal monument dedicated to the successful completion of Russia’s struggle for access to the Baltic sea. The monument of world architecture and Palace and Park art includes the Palace and Park ensemble of XVIII-XIX centuries, as well as the world’s largest system of fountains and water cascades. Museum-reserve “Peterhof” brings together 21 museums, including the unexpected such as the Museum “Imperial bikes, “Museum of playing cards” and “Museum collectors”.
- Nizhny Novgorod KremlinFrom the chronicle we know that Nizhny Novgorod was founded in 1221 by Grand Prince of Vladimir Yuri. The Kremlin was originally built of wood and earth. The stone Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin was built in 1515, when there was a need to strengthen the defense of the city, the main reference point of the Moscow state against the Kazan khanate. The new Kremlin was surrounded by two-kilometer wall with 13 towers. In the XVI century, the fortress was repeatedly besieged by the enemy, but the enemy has never been able to occupy it.
- Mamaev Kurgan and sculpture “the Motherland calls”Memorial “Heroes of Stalingrad battle” was opened on the Mamaev Kurgan in Volgograd in 1967. From the area of the Tribulation begins the ascent to the top of the mound to the base of the main monument – “the Motherland calls”. Along the serpentine in the hill reburied the remains of soldiers – defenders of Stalingrad. The statue by sculptor Vuchetich and engineer Nikitin made of 5,500 tons of concrete and 2,400 tons of metal structures. Its height is 86 meters, the height of the sculpture is 53 meters. The thickness of the walls of the sculpture – not more than 30 inches. The sword in the hand of the Motherland weighs 14 tons and has a length of 33 meters. They say that in the hands of the statue fits the car. In 2008, the Motherland statue on Mamayev Kurgan is also recognized as one of the Seven wonders of Russia.
- Pskov Kremlin KromPskov Krom is the largest fortress in Europe. The length of the walls – 9 km and an area of 3 hectares. Chrome located on a narrow promontory at the confluence of the Pskova river in the river Great. Now the Kremlin combines two different temporal parts of the city: Kremlin with the Trinity Cathedral, the belfry, the Veche area and Dovmontov city. The pride of Russian art of the XVII century – the seven-tier iconostasis of the Trinity Cathedral. To the most revered shrines of the temple are the miraculous icon, the ark with the relics of Pskov saints and Olga cross. For many centuries over the city were constantly under threat of enemy attack, forcing Pskov continuously improve defenses. Pskov Kremlin in its history withstood 26 sieges. The fortress was in active military use for almost 1,000 years, came to us in almost its original form.
- Mosque named after Akhmad Kadyrov “Heart of Chechnya”Mosque “Heart of Chechnya” in Grozny is one of the largest, beautiful and majestic mosques in Europe and the world. Opened on 17 Oct 2008 and is named after Akhmat-Haji Kadyrov, the first President of the Chechen Republic. The mosque is located on the picturesque banks of the river Sunzha middle of a huge Park with cascading fountains and colored night lighting. The outer and inner walls of the mosque with marble, and 36 chandeliers installed in mosques, their shapes resemble three main shrines of Islam: 27 chandeliers mimic the mosque Qubbat-as Sahra in Jerusalem, 8 patterned the mosque Rossato-Nabawi in Medina and the large, eight-meter chandelier, repeats the forms Kaaba Shrine in Mecca. To create a collection of exclusive chandeliers took several tons of bronze, about three kilograms of gold, and more than one million parts and Swarovski crystals.
- The Trinity-Sergius LavraThe Trinity-Sergius Lavra is located in the centre of Sergiyev Posad, Moscow region, on the river Konchura. Founded in 1337 by St. Sergius of Radonezh. The earliest structure of the monastery is the white stone Trinity Cathedral, erected in 1422 on the site of a wooden Church and perpetuated the tradition of Moscow architecture of XIV-XV centuries. This is a unique historical object, one of the few cathedrals where an iconostasis painted by the greatest master painters Andrei Rublev and Daniel Black. In the Trinity Cathedral lie the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh, to worship which is visited daily by hundreds of parishioners. In 1744, the Trinity-Sergius monastery was awarded the honorary title of Lavra. Today it is a functioning monastery, the spiritual center of Orthodox Russia. Since 1940, the Trinity-Sergius Lavra – the state Museum-reserve. Is under protection of UNESCO.
- KizhiThis is a unique historical-cultural and natural complex is a particularly valuable object of cultural heritage of the peoples of Russia and the UNESCO world cultural and natural heritage. The basis of the Museum’s collection – the ensemble of the Kizhi Pogost. It consists of two churches and bell towers of XVIII-XIX centuries, surrounded by a single fence – reconstruction of traditional fences of churchyards. Church of the Transfiguration, built again after a fire in 1714, made only of wood (including 22 of the dome and the cross, without nails, using axes and chisels. Long life of the Kizhi churches just because they were built without the use of saws – the wood axe does not violate its structure, therefore, the churches are not destroyed. In 1966, on the basis of the architectural ensemble of the Kizhi Pogost was founded by the State historical and architectural Museum “Kizhi”, which, in addition to existing in their original locations of buildings, were Sveza large number of chapels, houses and outbuildings of the Onega region and other regions of Karelia.
- Kolomna Kremlin
The Kremlin in Kolomna is one of the most powerful fortresses of the Moscow state, built in the years 1525-1531 during the reign of Vasily III. The Kremlin is situated on the bank of the Moscow and Kolomenka. Unfortunately, the Kremlin was not spared during the time, from the fortress remains only a few towers and a few fragments of the walls. Despite it, nowadays the Kremlin is still striking in its grandeur and power. The most interesting of the seven surviving towers — Marinkina or Kolomenskaya tower. With this tower linked tradition: there were allegedly imprisoned wife of False Dmitry – Marina Mnishek. Currently, the Kremlin is military history sports and cultural complex. Here are jousting and games of the knights, contests fighters, wrestlers and shooters, ancient rituals, folk festivals and fairs.